Signs of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
If you suspect the caregivers at the nursing home or assisted living facility are abusing your loved one, here are some signs to watch out for.
- Bruising. Skin on the elderly is more sensitive and fragile making it easy to bruise. Ask questions if you see finger-shaped or handprint-shaped bruises or bruises that could have been caused by a fall.
- Falls. Know how the staff handles falls, the immediate care, follow-up care and how they communicate with you.
- Bedsores. If your loved one is able to get up and around yet has bedsores, he or she is spending too much time in the same position.
- Personal care. Make sure your loved one is well-groomed, appropriately dressed for the season and appears to be well-nourished.
- Smells. There are the “normal” smells of a nursing facility; however, if it smells musty or reeks of urine then you might question how well the facility is being cleaned.
Is It Time to Take Legal Action?
If your elderly loved one has been mistreated or suffered injuries because of nursing home abuse or neglect, put a stop to it immediately. The first step is to relocate him or her to a safer environment then seek legal guidance.
In the Kansas City area, the attorneys at Nash & Franciskato are experienced in recovering financial compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma. We are your advocates and the voice for your elderly family member, fighting to stop his or her pain and suffering.
Receive a Free Evaluation from Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
The attorneys at Nash & Franciskato have experience handling nursing home lawsuits. We will review the circumstances of your loved one’s treatment and provide guidance on your legal options. We want to help protect his or her rights. Contact us for a free no-obligation review of your case.