Neglect of the Elderly in Nursing Homes
Elder neglect, when those responsible for the care of a senior refuse or fail to fulfill their professional caretaking obligation, accounts for more than half of all reported cases of elder abuse.
Gross negligence, considered an intentional act, demonstrates a complete disregard for safety and human life and accounts for about 14% of abuse cases.
Neglect in a nursing home environment can result in serious health consequences, sometimes even death.Gross neglect of the elderly makes up for about 14% of abuse cases. Click To Tweet
Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
Abuse and neglect in the nursing home varies, but signs to watch for include:
- Unusual weight loss, malnutrition, dehydration
- Untreated physical problems, such as bedsores
- Unsanitary living conditions, dirt, bugs, soiled bedding and clothes
- Poor hygiene where your loved one is left dirty or unbathed
- Unsuitable clothing or covering for the weather
- Unsafe living conditions, for example, no heat or running water, faulty electrical wiring, other fire hazards
- Lack of adequate food and water
- Lack of medical aides, such as glasses, walker, hearing aids
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
Like many families, you rely on the staff at nursing homes to give your loved one the proper care. When these facilities fail to provide your loved one with the care and services necessary, you need to protect your loved one from that abusive and neglectful environment.
While proving abuse and neglect can be challenging, the nursing home abuse lawyers at Nash & Franciskato will use its extensive network to investigate all aspects of abuse in the facility your loved one resides in, including staff training, staffing levels, and background checks for potential criminal records.
In the Kansas City area, the attorneys at Nash & Franciskato are experienced in recovering financial compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma for your loved one.
Receive a Free Evaluation from Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
The qualified nursing home abuse lawyers at Nash & Franciskato will help you answer questions and understand your legal options. We are your advocates and the voice for your elderly loved one. We want to help protect his or her rights. Contact us for a free no-obligation review of your case.