Neglect of the Elderly in Nursing Homes
Elder neglect, when those responsible for the care of a senior refuse or fail to fulfill their professional caretaking obligation, is an intentional act – or even the failure to act – that creates a risk of harm to an older adult.
Neglect is the most common type of mistreatment among those older than 60. Of the more than 190,000 complaints filed in 2013 against nursing facilities 5.1% were for neglect, abuse or exploitation. Of these 15.3% involved gross neglect.
Nursing Home Neglect Facts
- The U.S. Justice Department notes that caregiver neglect is the most unreported type of abuse, with 1 out of every 57 cases being reported.
- A 2011 study found that 21% of nursing home residents were neglected at least once over a 12-month period.
- Neglect accounted for 14% of complaints against nursing homes, according to the National Center for Victims of Crime. And 15.3% of elder abuse complaints are for neglect.
Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
Neglect in a nursing home environment can result in serious life-threatening health consequences. For example, seniors neglected in nursing homes may be left sitting in their bed for days at a time, leading to extremely dangerous and uncomfortable bedsores. Neglect can even be fatal to your loved one.
Abuse and neglect in the nursing home varies, but signs to watch for include:
- Unusual weight loss, malnutrition, dehydration
- Untreated physical problems, such as bedsores
- Unsanitary living conditions, dirt, bugs, soiled bedding and clothes
- Poor hygiene where your loved one is left dirty or unbathed
- Unsuitable clothing or covering for the weather
- Unsafe living conditions, for example, no heat or running water, faulty electrical wiring, other fire hazards
- Lack of adequate food and water
- Lack of medical aides, such as glasses, walker, hearing aids
Need Additional Information about Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Find blog articles related to Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Signs of Abuse & Neglect
- Types of Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home Abuse Neglect
Contact us at (877) 284-6600 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
Like many families, you rely on the staff at nursing homes to give your loved one the proper care. When these facilities fail to provide your loved one with the care and services necessary, you need to protect your loved one from that abusive and neglectful environment.
While proving abuse and neglect can be challenging, the nursing home abuse lawyers at Nash & Franciskato will use its extensive network to investigate all aspects of abuse in the facility your loved one resides in, including staff training, staffing levels, and background checks for potential criminal records.
In the Kansas City area, the attorneys at Nash & Franciskato are experienced in recovering financial compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma for your loved one.
- Over 80 years of combined experience
- Trusted legal advisor committed to your needs
- Free, no-obligation review of your case
- Super Lawyers for over 10 years
- The AV Preeminence Rating for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
- Compassionate advocacy for you and your family
Receive a Free Evaluation from Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
The qualified nursing home abuse lawyers at Nash & Franciskato will help you answer questions and understand your legal options. We are your advocates and the voice for your elderly loved one. We want to help protect his or her rights. Contact us for a free no-obligation review of your case.