Safety Rules to Prevent Dog Bites
Teach kids to:
- Stay out of a dog’s personal space, especially when the dog is eating or sleeping
- Avoid putting his or her face close to a dog’s face; that means no hugging or kissing
- Never approach a strange dog without the owner’s permission and always get permission before petting any dog
- Never reach through a fence or car window to pet a dog, even if you know the dog
- Leave dogs alone when they have puppies
- Never scream at or run from a dog as this can scare or upset it
- Always let a dog sniff you before you pet it
- When touching a dog, gently stroke its side or back; do not pat it on the head or tail
- Make sure a dog knows when you are approaching so that you do not startle or scare it
- Never distract a service dog, he is doing an important job for his handler and should not be touched
- Treat dogs and other animals with respect
Recognize when a dog may be showing signs of fear or anxiety
Supervise all interactions between dogs and children and be sure that both adult and child know the dog signs that indicate fear or anxiety. Should you see any of these signs, stop interactions between the child and the dog immediately.
- Growling, snarling or barking
- Nose pulled back and wrinkled
- Lips drawn back
- Teeth bared
- Hair sticking up along its back
- Ears laid back
- Body appears tense and rigid
Need Additional Information?
- Dog Bite Prevention from the ASPCA
- Dog Safety: Staying Safe Around Dogs
- A Complete Guide to Staying Safe Around Dogs
- Find blogs related to Dog Bites
Questions? Our team is here to answer them for you. Contact us at (877) 284-6600.
Receive a Free Evaluation from Experienced Dog Bite Attorneys
The Nash & Franciskato Law Firm in Kansas City has handled many serious animal attack cases involving dog bites. Our caring and compassionate lawyers look at all angles in order to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Plus, our personal injury legal team gives you:
- Over 80 years of combined experience
- Trusted legal advisor committed to your needs
- Super Lawyers for over 10 years
- The AV Preeminence Rating for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
- Compassionate advocacy for you and your family
If your child has been the victim of a dog bite, find out if you can hold the animal’s owner liable for injuries suffered. Contact our dog bite lawyers in Kansas City for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.