Emotional Abuse of the Elderly
Emotional abuse is basically any psychological distress or emotional pain caused by a caregiver. While it is a common problem, it is also difficult to track. Often it may go unreported.
While emotional abuse doesn’t physically show; it is no less painful. Verbal abuse is easily identifiable; however, non-verbal abuse is harder to spot.
Has your loved one suffered emotional abuse in a nursing home? Let’s talk.
Examples of Verbal Emotional Abuse:
- Yelling, shouting, screaming
- Intimidation through threatening behavior
- Name-calling, insulting and ridiculing the patient
- Talking to the patient as if he or she were a child
- Embarrassing the patient in front of others
- Withdrawing affection or being callous and mean
Examples of Non-Verbal Emotional Abuse:
- Giving a patient the silent treatment
- Ignoring the patient
- Isolating him or her from social activities or friends
- Restricting access to food, water or bathroom
- Taking away personal items or hiding them
Questions? Contact us at (877) 284-6600 to speak with a member of our legal team.
Signs of Emotional Abuse or Mental Mistreatment
While emotional abuse often goes unreported, the following signs may indicate your elderly loved one is being mistreated.
Signs of emotional abuse/mental mistreatment:
- Often seems distressed or emotionally upset or agitated
- Becomes withdrawn, depressed or shy when he or she was more outgoing previously
- Avoids eye contact
- Displays sudden changes in sleeping or eating patterns
- Displays sudden mood swings
- Often seems hopeless, disturbed or scared
Need Additional Information about Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect?
- Find blog articles related to Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Signs of Abuse & Neglect
- Types of Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home Abuse Emotional
Contact us at (877) 284-6600 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse Victims
Like many families, you rely on the staff at nursing homes, assisted care facilities and even in-home care to provide proper care for your elderly family member. Sometimes emotional abuse from the staff is unintentional; other times, it can be very intentional. If you believe that your elderly loved one is suffering emotional abuse at the hands of his or her caregivers, the first step is to relocate him or her to a safer environment then seek legal guidance.
In the Kansas City area, the attorneys at Nash & Franciskato are experienced in recovering financial compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma. We are your advocates and the voice for your elderly family member, fighting to stop his or her pain and suffering. We bring:
- Over 80 years of combined experience
- Trusted legal advisor committed to your needs
- Free, no-obligation review of your case
- Super Lawyers for over 10 years
- The AV Preeminence Rating for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
- Compassionate advocacy for you and your family
Receive a Free Evaluation from Experienced Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
The attorneys at Nash & Franciskato have experience handling nursing home lawsuits. We will review the circumstances of your loved one’s treatment and provide guidance on your legal options. We want to help protect his or her rights. Contact us for a free no-obligation review of your case.