10 Halloween Safety Tips for Your Goblins & Ghouls
Halloween is a fun, exciting, and spooky time for the kids. We want to keep it fun for all by passing along some of the best Halloween safety tips.
Halloween Costume Safety
- When purchasing costumes, read the label and make sure it is made of flame retardant material. In fact, the federal Flammable Fabrics Act (FFA) requires costumes sold at retail to be flame-resistant. However, if you’re making the costume, consider using materials such as nylon and polyester; these are more flame resistant.
- If the costume has a mask, make sure that the eyeholes are large enough for your child to see and that it is properly ventilated so he or she can easily breathe.
- Use reflective tape on costumes so your child can be easily seen by drivers and others. A flashlight or glow stick can be very helpful, too.
- Swords, knives, and other costume accessories should be short, soft, and flexible.
- Never walk near lit candles, luminaries, or jack-o-lanterns with candles in them, especially when wearing a costume with long trailing fabric.
Safety Tips for Kids
- Older kids enjoy Halloween just as much as the younger ones but make sure you know who your teen will be with and where he or she will be going. Set a time to be home and ensure that the cell phone battery is charged up.
- If your teen is driving, make sure he or she fills up the gas tank. That cell phone, however, is not to be used while driving; too many auto accidents happen when a driver is distracted by texting, emailing or talking on the phone.
- Make sure your child knows it can be dangerous to cut through back alleys or take short cuts. Potholes, trash, and other obstacles can cause slips, trips and falls that could mean a trip to the emergency room.
- Tell your child to walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Teach your child to watch for cars — on the roadway and in driveways — and never to cross between parked cars.
Keep your kids safe and have a fun night!
Sign up for our Email
If you would like to receive news and blog updates on a regular basis, sign up to receive our email newsletter. Your email address will only be used to send you our newsletter and respond to inquiries.
When you need a personal injury lawyer in the Kansas City area, contact the lawyers at Nash & Franciskato for assistance.
Sign up for Email
Past results afford no guarantee of future results and each case is different and is judged on its own merits.